Friday, January 20, 2012

Getting back on track

I've looked back on all these blog postings and it just occurs to me that for having intended this to generally focus on technology, I've really mostly just talked about cars and political things. Shame on me! Those things interest me during my free time, but as this new semester (and my last year of undergrad, hopefully) commences, I really need to stay on topic more than ever. Hopefully my blog can help me do this.

So most of the coming posts for the next few months will concern engineering, computers, electrical theory, and all that fun stuff. They will be tagged "Research"; every article with the label "Research" will simply be the product of my research for Dr. Aslan and my own passion for knowledge. I will post everything here. The projects we have on our plate are not totally specific yet, as he seems to have just given me a lab and free time (for which I will be in the employment of Texas State University) but I'm nailing down our main two goals as best I can.

1. Assembly and placement of three small 800W wind generators (with onboard photovoltaics) and an inverter and power storage system. The inverter and wind generators are already bought and with little assembly required. My unique design contribution will be the power storage system and braking system. He has said his ultimate goal is to take our lab off-the-grid and power it just by wind. Pretty specific goal.

2. Implementation of a server with NetFPGA chip for performing networking experiments of some kind. Very unspecific goal at this time, but it should be fun when we get it running.

No comments:

Post a Comment