Thursday, December 15, 2011

Texas Instruments TI-89 series

As I am not speaking as an expert in calculator hardware, my impression of this splendid calculator might seem simplistic to some readers. For this I apologize. When I bought this calculator I was amazed that it could solve quadratic algebraic equations. Since then I have learned more about its features on an almost continuous basis.

In 1998 a nice Compaq Presario had Windows 98, a 266-MHz Pentium II, and cost $1300. The cheapest computers were about $1000. The TI-89, just released that year, had a listed price of $159.99, although even at the time it is likely that some sold for $150. The TI-89 was the most advanced calculator available at the time. It used a Motorola 68000 microprocessor. It had 2D or 3D graphing capability, and very powerful mathematical functions. I'm not that big a fan of the TI-89 "classic" because it just feels flimsy. Had nice features, but my brother's 89 didn't last for more than three years.

In 2004, a midrange Dell cost my brother about $800. The TI-89 was $150. Depending on where you went, the newly released TI-89 Titanium, still with the same operating system but more preloaded functions and a definite feeling of higher quality, was available at no extra cost. I purchased my TI-89 Titanium in 2004 at an Office Max for $150. It has spent 7 years in my backpack coming with me to high school and then to college. Spent a total of weeks on a hot dashboard, and endured more painful falls than Gerald Ford. But every single button works, and I've only had to change the batteries 3 times. It runs like a top. After two years I felt like it had become a bit special, and I etched the name "Tracy" on it. Yes, I did give my calculator a name. As a pathetic nerd, I wished that there was a sexy woman in my life who was as loyal and capable as this calculator. And I don't actually know anyone named Tracy, but for some reason I liked the name.

In 2007, Texas Instruments introduced the TI-Nspire CAS, which is somewhat similar but has a more PC-like interface, which depresses calculator purists like me. I have never seen one on the shelf, but then again these might just be invisible to me. In my mind, the interface of the TI-89 Titanium reached a peak of blazing-fast reliability and sheer mathematical power that it's not yet been equaled. By 2007 there were computers available for $500 or less, but the TI-89 Titanium was still $150. Unless the Nspire sells for really ridiculous money, I can't see why they even did it. It's not any better or more powerful. It's kind of remarkable when you have a product in a normally high-tech market that stays competitive for such a comically long time.

It seems that the paying customers simply cannot find anything better. Why would you pay $120 for a comparatively archaic TI-84? There's no better value to be found, even as the price holds steady. As of 2011, the regular price of TI-89 Titanium calculators on the shelf nationwide, still is holding up at about $150. It's so unchanging that I expect to have fully grown children by the time the price is dropped and I expect to die before they stop selling it. And I expect to be long dead by the time my TI-89 Titanium finally breaks.

If you had a good condition, well-cared-for 2004 Titanium, it's a sure bet you'd get $100 for it from someone.  I am doubtful that an $800 Dell from 2004 would fetch that same $100 on craigslist. Taken from an investment perspective, TI-89s are about the slowest-depreciating piece of technology I can imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment